Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Odd thoughts

Sunrise has gotten early enough so that this morning I was able to get in a backwoods ski out our door this morning before even getting ready to go to work. There’s just something about skiing, cycling, running, etc., first thing in the morning to set the tone for the entire day (even if that tone is ‘I’m tired – but it’s a nice tired!’) I have not availed myself of the opportunity to go out for a paddle before work simply because it’s not quite as convenient as a ski, run or ride but I should try that sometime this summer. Out in a beautiful natural area after a snowfall in favorable weather. It was wonderful. Out by myself, my thoughts took an odd turn. After a series of thoughts that began with ‘my isn’t this a pleasant scene…,’ I thought of my grandma-in-law who died on her farm. (“You better move to town,” her friends and neighbors told her “or you’re likely to die on this farm.” Her response: “I hope so.”) Or my grandfather who died while walking to the post office in his small town. I thought of most of the rest of us who are likely to die connected to various monitors and tubes in a hospital room. I won’t be able to die out in a natural area with a spectacular view as my last sight. I probably wouldn’t want to anyway since someone would have to find the body. Instead of thinking “I could die happy here,” I thought “I’ll live happy here – and enjoy it as much as I can.” [this entry was written last week but I didn’t get around to posting it until this week. Now we have warm temps and rain. I think XC season is over. Time to move on to the next season]

No comments:

Post a Comment